Old November 20th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default A question for you GIS gurus out there

On Nov 20, 8:14*am, Andy wrote:
On Nov 19, 11:13*pm, Tuno wrote:

Not yet sure how useful it will be, but coming up soon, TFR airspace
files.

TFRs are usually so short lived that it's unlikely anyone would have
have current files loaded.

What I think would be more useful for Arizona pilots is a depiction of
the arrival and departure routes for KPHX and KTUS. *Being close to
cloudbase on a busy arrival route is unwise but how many pilots know
where they are?

Andy

I disagree with you on TFRs (but the comments on approach/departure/
STAR etc. are right on. Those folks we might run into (we are likely
to get the blame) just don't operate in our VFR world and we need to
think how they think and where they will be).

Given the danger (read mostly FAA enforcement danger) of violating a
TFR and how little work it would be to load a file into a PDA I don't
see the problem. Most TFRs (presidential, fire, etc.) are well known
about the morning of a flight. Sure others might pop-up, but you'll
get most this way.

I published airspace files for Californian fire related TFRs (some
that lasted weeks) for pilots flying out of Williams during summer.
Sure at times you should not be anywhere near an active fire TFR, at
other times there are large TFR areas with little activity and no
smoke/visibility hazards. It literally is only a few clicks to synch
such a file to a PDA. In very busy airspace/new TFR risk areas I'll
bring along my Garmin 496 with XM weather and TFR alerts - it's helped
with pop-up TFRs, and allowed me to radio other gliders to warn them.

I subscribe to Ted's Just Soar airspace service and really appreciate
what he is doing.

Darryl