Old March 7th 04, 10:17 PM
Bob Gardner

With reference to using Mode C as a defacto report....

5-5-6 Exceptions
{New-2003-15 a. revised August 7, 2003}
a. Do not use Mode C to effect vertical separation with an aircraft on a
cruise clearance, contact approach, or as specified in paragraph 5-15-4,
System Requirements, subparagraph e and f.

Maybe not right on point, but a suggestion that controller's do not
necessarily buy a Mode C readout all the time.

Bob Gardner

wrote in message ...
I don't think I would "bob up and down" on a cruise clearance. I would

request
a block altitude assignment if I want to "bob up and down." A cruise

clearance
is also an instrument approach clearance, so once I leave the last

assigned for
all I know the controller may be using my Mode C as a de facto report out

of
that altitude. I don't have to worry about that possible ambiguity with a

block
altitude assignment.

And, I learned a long time ago not to buy into any situation that can

become
ambiguous. That doesn't help me nor does it help the controller.

I can certainly descend to an intermediate altitude on a curise clearance,

then
level off. But, "bob back up?" not me.

Bob Gardner wrote:

Something that has been missed in the responses to your post is that

when
given a cruise clearance you can bob up and down between the assigned

cruise
altitude and the MEA without any report at all UNTIL you report leaving

the
assigned cruise altitude...at that point, ATC can assign 7000 (in your
example) to another aircraft. Don't report leaving until you know for

sure
that you won't be going back up. The most practical use of a cruise
clearance is when you suspect that the ride or the weather would be

better
at a lower altitude, so you descend without saying a word to ATC and

take a
look...if conditions are better, you say "Cessna blah blah requests 5000

(or
whatever) as a hard altitude" and stay there. If they are not, you go

back
up or choose an intermediate altitude. Bottom line is that you own the

block
of airspace between the assigned cruise altitude and the MEA and can do
whatever you want to do within that block without report UNTIL you make

the
report...then you have given up the cruise altitude. Read the "Cruise"
definition in the Pilot/Controller Glossary.

Bob Gardner

"John Clonts" wrote in message
1) "N7NZ, cleared direct BMQ cruise 7000". Do I report subsequent

descents?
E.g. "leaving 7000 descending 5000"? Then later "leaving 5000

descending
2000"?

2) Its VMC and I'm IFR to Temple, level at 5000. At 25 miles out I

report
Temple in sight. "N7NZ cleared visual approach to Temple, remain this
frequency til you're closer in". At this point I may descend at will,
right? When I do decide to descend, do I report leaving 5000?

3) I'm level at 7000. "N7NZ, descend 3000 pilots discretion". Do I

report
my descent? Can I level off at an intermediate altitude, and if so,

do I
eventually report leaving that altitude?E.g. "leaving 7000 descending

5000"?
Then later "leaving 5000 descending 3000"?

Please read the above "do I" as "am I required to". In my (small) IFR
experience to this point I have made the reports in many/all the above
cases, so I'm now trying to confirm which of them are unnecessary...

Thanks!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ