Old June 13th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default SeeYou run on Apple

On Jun 13, 7:59*am, Andy wrote:
On Jun 13, 7:49*am, Andy wrote:

On Jun 13, 6:41*am, kimobear wrote:

Anybody have a good way to run SeeYou on a Apple Mac without
partioning the hard drive ?

You need to have an Intel-based Mac or you will have pretty
unsatisfactory results - though I think it is possible. If you have an
Intel-based Mac there are basically two possibilities:

Run one of the WINE implementations that translates Windows OS calls
into Mac OS X equivalents. I have used Codeweavers Crossover:

http://www.codeweavers.com/

It works pretty well for everything except 3D mode which is not
supported. *I have not tested it extensively, but it works well enough
to play back a flight. They don't officially support SeeYou so you may
encounter occasional bugs, but my experience has been tolerable.

A more robust answer is to run Virtual Machine software (I use
Parallels, but there is also a product from VMWare):

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusio...els.com/produc...

In this case you will also need to obtain a copy of Windows (I run
Vista Home Basic, but lots of people run XP too). *This is a more
expensive solution, but under $200 if you buy at the right places.
None of these approaches require a disk partition.

The third solution is to use Apple's BootCamp and load Windows to run
on the Mac's Intel hardware natively. This does require a partition
but supposedly has the benefit of running faster and more reliably
since there is no intermediate software translation layer. I tried it
for awhile but didn't notice a significant speed uptick at it lacks
the translation of Mac keyboard and trackpad shortcuts that the other
solutions have. Also the need to reboot to switch between Mac and
Window environments is a pain if you need to run both more or less at
the same time.

You might try Crossover first as there is a 30-day free trial. If you
feel you need more you can go the more sophisticated route of running
a VM implementation.

Good luck!

9B

Darryl beat me to the punch because he types faster. *Now I might have
to load my copy of Fusion from VMWare. Why do you like it better? *You
worked for them once didn't you?

On either of these products be aware you can buy them for a lot less
via the Apple Educational store online. *Only you will know if you
meet all the requirements of being an educator, student, or buying for
a student. The products are identical.

9B

Andy, yes I worked for them, I helped get them started. But Fusion is
generally more stable, has better multiprocessor support, and a better
product. You trust everything I say right? :-)

If Wine can do the job then that is the minimal overhead (cost,
install hassle etc.) but I don't think it is qite there yet on the
Mac. Many of use have a collection of a few critical Windows
applications that just have to work under real Windows and I'm not
using Bootcamp to reboot to have to get to them. In my case that
includes, SeeYou, SeeYou Mobile PC simulator, Winscore, Winscore
Viewer, Google Earth and the Tobias' IGC replay software, Microsoft
ActiveSync to talk to PDAs, popular PC Web browers (Mozilla, Chrome,
IE, Opera) for software testing, programming software for my home
audio system remote controls, embedded processor software IDE tools I
needed for a project, Windows Mobile emulators and development tools,
etc. etc.

The only time you should need to reboot into Bootcamp is if you want
to run Windows high end graphcis games. Although some 3D games will
run with partial acceleration under Fusion or Parallels.

The cost of Fusion or Parallels is less than the cost of the Windows
license, also factor in the cost of the time it will take to do a
Windows install and set everything up. Both products have suspend/
resume so you do not boot windows each time you need to run something.
It is like resuming a suspended laptop.

Darryl