Old May 17th 05, 07:35 AM
Kai Glaesner

Jon,

I'm trying to understand how capable the new breed of integrated
avionics suites are (Aviyne Eclipse, Garmin G1000), and read somewhere
that although these systems are very capable, they don't have the
"mission capabilities" of a Proline 21. I.e., the Eclipse and Garmin
systems are ok for recreational flights but can't ever be used for
regular commercial service.

After looking at the functions of these systems, I can't understand why
this would be so? Would appreciate any input on what the Proline 21
offers that the less expensive systems don't....

May be Autothrottle, VNAV, real FMC's (able of computing optimized climb,
cruise and descent based on cost indexes) and these kind of things?

Proline is a very sophisticated, integrated package consisting of far more
than what's visible to the eye ;-)

Perhaps one day Garmin, Avidyne et al will be on par, but today they are
not. I don't think they intend to be.

Best Regards

Kai