Old July 23rd 05, 12:49 AM
Tom Young

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message

Matt Whiting wrote:

I've never flown a plane that made enough noise from the tires spinning
to even notice. I have heard of some airplanes that need the spinning
stopped before retracting the gear...

My CFII claimed to be annoyed by the vibration of the spinning gear after
takeoff in a 172. He "taught" me to tap on the breaks so as to avoid this
annoyance.

Franky, I've no idea how he could feel that while sitting behind 180hp of
noisemaker...

Several of the 172s I train in do get a fairly heavy vibration going not
long after takeoff. For me it wasn't so much annoying as alarming, until my
instructor told me what was going on. I don't notice it much anymore.

I read somewhere recently (can't remember where now -- magazine article?)
that braking once off the ground with the wheels spinning can make the tires
slip around and possibly shear off the valve stems. Maybe that's an aviation
urban legend, but it seems like it would be an unpleasant little surprise
upon landing. I'd be curious to know if that's actually happened to anyone.

--
Tom Young
37.7 toward PP-ASEL