Old December 2nd 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Cobra hydraulic bottle jacks - where to buy?

On Dec 1, 7:54*pm, sisu1a wrote:
On Dec 1, 3:36*pm, wrote:

I am looking for a source for a replacement bottle jack for a cobra
trailer ramp (yes, I know I should switch to the mechanical jack and
all problems will go away, but I don't want to go down that route
yet). The Torin 2-ton jack that Walmart and Autozone sell is extremely
poorly built, in addition to the dimensions not being quite right.
Somebody must have gone through this before and found a decent source?

Instead of the bottle or the scissor of course there's the much
simpler Wynoff lever deal. A small female in his club (their beta
tester) had no problem cycling the ship up and down with this clever
device...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP2AD8rtdpA*(may not work well for
self rigging without adding height adjustment...)

-Paul

Thanks for posting the video. I am sketching up the same mod for my
Komet trailer.

I'm thinking of adding a couple of helper air springs so a much
shorter lever could be used. I happen to have a pair of 100 pounds
force units with about a 6" throw left over from another project. I
think the lever could then be short enough to go under the wing
leading edge. (Slipping and letting the lever whack the wing leading
edge sorta worries me.)

My one-man rig lets me get the wing tips within about 1/8" of perfect
using lasers so no fiddling with the ramp jack is ever needed to
insert the main pin.

Bill