Old April 4th 16, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Does How a (Sailplane) Pilot Thinks, Matter?

At 21:57 03 April 2016, wrote:
Well Jim that doesnt seem to apply to guys like karl streideck or ray
gimmy=
or going back aways, jim inderbo. I've seen those guys pull off
amaizingly=
"risky" moves. Risk in general is directly related to experience. What
mig=
ht have been super risky the first few times becomes incrementally less
ris=
ky with the gained experience. The problems arise when less experienced
guy=
s try to rush the learning curve by trying to immulate what they see

other
=
more experienced guys get away with.
Dan

Hi Dan

Following your post I thought I would take a look at Seb Kawa's flights at
the 2014 15M Worlds in Lezno which he won. I believe that Seb has 10 World
titles now so I thought we could learn something. Low points are above
ground.

Day Low Point Notes
1 2700ft Finished 4th
2 1200ft Only one low point, otherwise 2700ft 1st
3 2300ft 13th
4 3000ft 6th
5 2000ft 4th
6 1500ft Otherwise 2300ft everyone lands out 10th
7 2000ft 12th
8 3000ft 1st
9 2600ft 12th
10 2200ft 6th

I think that we can conclude that Seb didn't go low in order to win this
title. If you look at the barograph trace he takes frequent climbs in order
to stay high and conservative.

I have never looked at Karl's or the other guy's traces but I stand by my
point. Consistent result wins competitions. Getting low throws a lot of
time or, when you are the one that lands out, the day and the comp.

Jim