Old May 13th 05, 05:24 AM
Christopher Campbell

On 5/12/05 7:11 PM, in article ,
"anon" wrote:

Our 17 year old son want to fly as a passenger with his 17 year old friend who
is a brand new pilot. We think the boy is level-headed and mature. He grew
up
flying with his dad who is a retired test pilot for an aircraft manufacturer.

These credentials not withstanding, I'm guessing that there is increased risk
of accidents with new pilots.

The problem is not with him being a new pilot but with 17 year old judgment.
If he has good judgment then he is probably safe enough to fly with. If you
want to put any restrictions on it, then say that the ceiling has to be at
least 5000 feet, visibility 10 miles or better, no stalls or other aerobatic
maneuvers, no flight below 1000 feet above the ground except for takeoff and
landing, crosswinds less than 10 knots, no night flight, and remain within
25 miles of the airport. As the new pilot gains experience and you gain
confidence in his judgment and abilities, you can relax these restrictions.

If you hear of this kid "buzzing" the ground or showing off, or otherwise
deliberately violating Federal Aviation Regulations, then you never let your
son fly with him again.