Old October 27th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Dungrave

Default which VW engine coversion seems most reliable?

rich wrote:
Looking at the various conversions, such as Limbach, Hapi, Revmaster,
Great Plains, and I'm sure there are some others, I'm wondering if one
or the other has a reputation of being the best for reliablity?
The Rotax seems based on the VW, although the company denies that,
just looking at some of their models, the resemblence is too much not
to be somewhat a derivative of the VW. Looking around on the web, the
Revmaster seems to be the only one with a stand alone engine for sale,
Great Plains seems to sell the parts to make the conversion, and
Limbach and Hapi I can't find any parts for them for sale. If they are
even in business any longer.
Rich

Limbach is the one with highest reputation and the most expensive
next to them probably Sauer
http://www.sauer-flugmotorenbau.de/V...ourStroke.html
about 40 jrs in business, had my Revmaster for overhaul there

both companies are located in Germany. Both also sell certified VW-based
engines, mostly used in motorgliders

my 2c
-Loef (building a Sonex with Revmaster/Sauer up front)