Old May 31st 04, 12:10 AM
Stan Gosnell

Roy Smith wrote in
:

The GX-60 manual isn't real illuminating on what you're
supposed to do at this point. Presumably, "continue the
approach as if nothing happened" would not be smart
(although, being VFR, that's exactly what we did last
night).

So, what do you do? Ask ATC to hold someplace in the hopes
the RAIM warning goes away as the satellites shuffle
around? If so, how long would you expect this would take?
Does the controller know enough about GPS to understand
what I mean if I tell him "I've got a RAIM alert"?

Depends. You do need to tell ATC about it, and they should know
exactly what you're talking about. You can hold, get vectors to
start the approach over, or whatever you want. RAIM warnings
usually go away within a few minutes - I seldom see them last 5
minutes.

--
Regards,

Stan