Old February 25th 04, 04:07 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Scott Schluer" wrote in message
news:5G2%b.2400$id3.1816@fed1read01...
Does anyone have good recommendations for fun day-trip flying destinations
in Arizona (within a couple hours of Phoenix)? Obviously I know about the
Grand Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff, etc. I'm looking for more back-country

type
airfields. No soft fields though, its against rental policy. I really

enjoy
flying mountainous terrain, or anything other than flat land, with
interesting things to see or do nearby (hiking, fishing, camping, etc). If
we have to rent a car to get somewhere after landing, that's okay too.

I've
never been to the White Mountains...anything good out there?

I'd really like to take my girlfriend out for a fun day or two of flying

and
sight-seeing, but I don't want to fly to the usual destinations. Just
looking for suggestions from people who are familiar with the area. Thanks
for any input!

The White Mountains are awesome, especially the Mogollon (mug-e-own) Rim.

Try Show Low (KSOW) or St. Johns (2nd or 3rd cheapest gas in the US), or try
the Chiricahua NM/Wilderness area by flying into Bisbee-Douglas (DUG) for a
trip to the SE part of the state.

Tom - AZ82