Old May 10th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Benjamin Gawert

Default "Helmet system replaces heads-up display on F-35s"

* Ed Rasimus:

Helmet mounted displays are nothing new. The only novelty is that the
JSF uses it as a replacement of a conventional HUD.

We're talking several generations of difference here in terms of what
the HMDS is offering.

Well, the difference is not *that* huge. The only thing that is done in
the F-35 is to move the complete display part from the HUD to the HMDS
(which IMHO does make sense, I wonder why this hasn't been done before
already).

Benjamin