Old March 16th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Licensing order

On Mar 15, 8:12*pm, ken wrote:
If I had the resources to do it again, I might start with power and move
to glider. The breadth of knowledge required for an SEL rating is
broader, while just as arguably the depth of knowledge to fly a glider
(well) is ... well... deeper. *As far as the certification process goes,
a lot transfers from SEL to G but not the other way around.

So, if you want a broader aviation knowledge base and the flexibility to
fly the club's tow plane ;-) AND you have the resources: SEL then G. If
sailplanes is just where it's at for you, then get the glider ticket and
spend the extra time and money learning to thermal. :-)

IMHO.

--ken

In article
,

*Matt wrote:
Hi all,
I've been looking into getting my private pilot's license. I've taken
test flights in a cessna (172SP) and a glider (GROB 103). I really
liked the glider, but I also like the benefits of the private.

What order would be best to get both licenses? Should I get a private
first with a glider addon or go for the glider first and work toward
the private?

Also, would getting a private be worthwhile even if I mostly fly
gliders?

thanks,
Matt- Hide quoted text -

A Private pilot certificate is just that. A majority of the knowledge
you would need for both is required for either one.
That said, in gliding there will be a, in my experience, an increased
level of attention on basic airmanship- just flying the aircraft very
well. The current emphasis, which I see in my students who have done
both, is on radios, procedures, and a lot of stuff which, is
important, but commonly at the expense of being a really good stick
and rudder pilot. One of my teenage students recently added her
airplane rating to her private certificate. It really wasn't that hard
for her at all.
Probably the most important reason for you to go one way or the other,
is which one will get your heart pumping and also make you want to
pick up the books and study.
Good luck and have fun.
UH