Old March 16th 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

Default Licensing order

First off, they are both Private Pilot Certificates.. whether you are rated
for Airplane or Glider.
So saying you like the benefits of the "private" does not make sense.
Saying you like the benefits of flying an airplane (or powered aircraft)
does make sense.

I realize you are new to the game.
If you are wanting to do both, it matters not which you do first.
Getting a powered aircraft (Airplane) rating first may make the glider
certificate easier later.
Getting the Glider Private Pilot certificate first may take longer to
accomplish, but as another posted, not much of the glider time can count
towards the airplane time requirements. But the learning will be quicker in
the other, which ever you do first.

Welcome aboard.

BT

"Matt" wrote in message
Hi all,
I've been looking into getting my private pilot's license. I've taken
test flights in a cessna (172SP) and a glider (GROB 103). I really
liked the glider, but I also like the benefits of the private.

What order would be best to get both licenses? Should I get a private
first with a glider addon or go for the glider first and work toward
the private?

Also, would getting a private be worthwhile even if I mostly fly
gliders?

thanks,
Matt