Old March 16th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default Licensing order

On Mar 15, 11:54*pm, JS wrote:
Similar to Guy:
Glider at least to solo. Learn what the wings do.
ASEL to Private. Learn the additional bits. (take a written test)
Glider add-on. (no second written test) Enjoy.
Jim

I went in that order, but before the sport ratings were around.
All the glider flying counted towards the airplane rating hourly
requirements, and I was able to fly the entire flight (with guidance)
from the first time I got in the airplane. However, I had to train
the instructor in where the holes were in my education, so it took
him 20 hours to solo me. Solo work was primarily to get the
required cross country time.

Once I had the airplane rating, I actually used it a couple of times
on business trips. Then, my company changed its policy so that
you couldn't fly yourself on trips anymore. I have flown gliders
exclusively since then. The cost to get the hours the insurance
company wants for me to be able to tow is much too high for
me to bother.

I did learn some important things in the airplane -- how to deal
with complexity, how to navigate, how to deal with ATC. All
those are useful in the glider.

-- Matt