Old April 4th 19, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael N.

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

Thanks guys, I am looking at finish, or last time refinished as my number 1 factor in deciding which of these era gliders to buy.

In fact this brings up a question important to my current top 5 candidate list:
One of the candidates is a DG 200, the current owner who I feel is trying to be accurate and honest in his representation of the glider during our phone calls.
States the glider has the original finish in good condition, with no crazing in the gel coat, but some cracking in the area of the dive brakes.
He is indicating that DG gliders of the era were very well finished, and do not have a history of needing to be refinished often.
Again, he seems to be very honest and forthright to me, but I do not have glider purchase history experience to back up my impression.

Can anyone comment on the DG 200 - 202 finish quality over time?
I am aware the finish quality over time is highly affected by whether the glider was stored, or left out in the elements. I am asking more in general, or typical wear.

Thanks again for all the great information. When I started this thread I would never have thought I'd get this much information. I appreciate it, and I am listening and taking this discussion heavily into my decision process.