Old October 14th 15, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

Agreed, and not trying to get into a ****ing contest. My main thrust is
the general lack of judgement that I see daily. I attribute that to a
cook book approach to instruction with only one method being taught. As
I tow pilot I see the same pattern tow instructed every time: 1,300'
AGL at the entry point and on a down wind heading. The student is
taught to make a right 360 degree turn to arrive over the entry point at
the same altitude and heading every time. This is great if you want to
open the dive brakes if you arrive a bit high or sweat bullets if you're
a bit low, but it does nothing for getting more out of your equipment
and yourself.

Please understand that I don't push low thermalling in the pattern as a
rule, only as another option, under certain circumstances, and with due
regard to what else is going on nearby. I'm all for flexibility and I
really wish instructors would at least teach or demonstrate just a few
different possibilities, like getting out of a 10:1 cone of the airport
or landing in the opposite direction of traffic or a right-hand
pattern. Students where I fly see these things only once - as
emergencies (which they may very well be) and during their final flights
before their private pilot check ride.

Now I must leave for the day to drop students off at 1,300' AGL at the
pattern entry point...

On 10/13/2015 11:14 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 12:28:47 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
My reply wasn't directed at you, Flub, but at the response that
implied that my method/comfort level is "dangerous". Looking at
Sugarbush on google maps (that's where you fly, isn't it?), I see
some decent looking agricultural fields as fall backs if you get
low. I also see not too many options if the pattern gets crowded
and, at your location, I'd be much more inclined to land if I got
down to my comfort level than to try a low save. Regarding the old
guy hanging out on the ridge, local knowledge and experience plays
an important role in low flying.

Take
a look at Moriarty, NM and you'll get an idea of why I'm
comfortable with a low save here. Look at all the landing options.

Dan

Your comment was in response to my comment that your practice is one, that while it may work for you, is generally unsafe and not one that others who are much less experienced than you should imitate.

Getting comfortable with being low commonly leads to pilots on cross countries quitting way to late to plan a good landing and execute in properly.
This is a major contributor to our accident record.
People reading this should understand that while it works for Dan, it is likely not a practice they should adopt.
UH

--
Dan, 5J