Old November 28th 07, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Private Pilot Uniforms

"Clay" wrote in message
. Don't even go to an
airport wearing nose rings, earrings, Grateful Dead t-shirt, long
nasty unkept hair, faded blue jeans with rip holes, John Lennon
sunglasses and Jesus sandals. Not only will you not get any respect
but the TSA agents or local law enforcement may escort you to a small
private room for a chat.

Been there, done that (well, customs, TSA didn't exist back then).

My brother and I (both teens at the time) were traveling around in a Cessna
120 - after a couple weeks we are coming back into the US from Canada - we
walk into the customs office looking just a little scruffy. The last two
weeks we had been sleeping under the wing, wearing the same clothes - I used
duct tape where my pants had ripped (Left the extra clothes home to try and
stay near gross weight - even a mighty Continental 85 can only lift so
much) - probably didn't smell real good. This guy's eyes light up - he looks
like he is sure he is on to something - he's gonna take that old Cessna
apart...

Well, if we looked (and smelled) bad, the "baggage" space behind the seats
was even worse. Camping gear, dirty pots and pans, tent, sleeping bags, etc.
(OK, we did have one change of underwear / socks each). He started off
dragging stuff out and inspecting it, but as he got deeper into the pile, he
just got slower and slower. Finally, he turns around, looks at us, shakes
his head, and says "you guys can go..."

It felt good to beat down "the man" without even trying.

FWIW - there was nothing in there for him to find.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com