Old May 31st 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Default Defense against UAV's

wrote:
Jack Linthicum wrote:
The mention was of swarms which implies swarms of signals

not necessarily, if mostly autonomous UAVs are used

which then implies if I have an ECM craft up and I get lots of radiation from one
direction I will send a message to that source. The decoys may work the
second time but not the first or third.

??

The control point will be that, singular, one command directing all of the UAVs
from one spot.

Ever heard of fiber optics communications? Set-up multiple cheap
antennas for communication, and link them with fiber optics to your
safe hidden command centre. Why you guys always assume that the bad
boys are dumb beyond recognition alludes me...

What the hell is an autonomous UAV? and to what purpose? You need a
unique signal for each aircraft otherwise they will all turn left at
the same time. On the first shot you may hit a bunch of decoys but also
the target or targets. Especially if the decoys must be deployed under
the control of the central command. Second time the decoys may stay on
and the command freqs shut down. Third time no one cares and fires
enough weapons to take care of the site and the decoys.

I have heard of fiber optic communications, those antennas will still
radiate and believe it or not the U.S. military can figure out where
the command point is physically. The bad guys do not have to be smart
or dumb, they will be overwhelmed by the amount of crap the U.S. can
throw at tem. It's the occupation afterwards that is the sticking point.