Old August 20th 05, 01:06 AM
RST Engineering

Robert ...

That, unfortunately, is not true. 61.183 (c) (2) says that you have to have
an instrument rating *OR* privileges on that person's pilot certificate
appropriate to the rating sought.

For example, if I wanted to apply for a CFII, I would have to have the
instrument rating. If I wanted to apply for a CFI SEL, I would have to have
a commercial with a SEL rating on it -- no instrument.

Having said that (irregardless of the illiterate bonehead in here who has
neither a CFI or a commercial) if you get a commercial rating without an
instrument ticket, you are limited to working within 50 miles of your home
base AND no night commercial activities.

Now, whether that carries over to charging primary students for cross
country and night flight is not yet fully answered.

And, yes, you DO have to have a commercial ticket to charge students for
instruction.

My wife had her CFI years before she got her instrument ticket ... CFI-G
doesn't require the instrument, nor does the Commercial glider.

Jim
CFI A&G, CGI B, Commercial A&G, A&P/IA
other stuff not worth mentioning.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

All CFIs are instrument rated. You must hold an instrument rating in
order to apply for a CFI certificate.