Old April 30th 13, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Werker SLA batteries? (... better than PowerSonic?)

On Monday, April 29, 2013 6:10:04 PM UTC-7, 2NO wrote:
I'm growing weary of my PowerSonic (PoS) batteries crapping out a few minutes after their 1 year warranty expries.

Are Werker batteries any better? ... or are they essentially the same?

The salesman at Batteries Plus said they pretty much stopped selling PS because they were having quality issues ...

Mmm the unbiased opinion of a sales droid....

My first thing to do with battery problems like this is to look at your charging setup/method. What exact model/capacity batteries, what exact chargers, batteries charged in parallel?, how long are the batteries left on charge? redundant electronic bits and pieces in the charger circuit, etc. charger settings (if any), ambient temps, etc. How deeply are the batteries typically discharged? How long are they left discharged? Have you taken them out of the glider, fully charged them (typically for a few days) on a known good SLA charger and then done a discharge test. Do that at each annual and track how the batteries age.

PowerSonic tend to be high quality, as do Panasonic, and other brand name batteries. But every manufacturer will have duds.

Darryl