Old July 30th 14, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Beverly Howard

Default Distance wood has flown

560 miles by Beverly E. Howard Jr. in an SHK from San Marcos, Tx to Wichita, KS on July 9, 1974

That was a very long day ;-)

The hell of it was that I ran off my charts in Oaklahoma, so, at the end of the flight I was completely focused on locating airports. Since I assumed that there was no chance of making Wichita that when I had that airport "made" I went ahead and landed... from almost 8,000 feet... had I been thinking rationally, I might have made the better part of another 100 miles.

Would not have made any difference though... the SSA rejected the flight documentation, so, I didn't even (or ever) get diamond distance... think I still have the barograph trace around here somewhere.

Beverly Howard