Old February 24th 14, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default Results*of*Flight*Performance*Determination*o f*the*Lak‐17a*FES

I had no intention of skewing volunteers! Just trying to understand the process. Yes I am passionate about the Lak17b FES. I assumed (wrongly) that the HC was a more proactive body.

Social media and even Google Groups seem to be a much easier way to ask questions than emailing. Perhaps the SSA Handicap Committee could consider creating a Google Group or... (hold on to your chairs) even a Facebook group?

Social is a much more efficient means of communication and open discussion that email for sure. Facebook groups for example can be private and each member can be approved once credentials are confirmed.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Sean

On Monday, February 24, 2014 4:00:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2014 1:04:10 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:

My initial goal was to press home that the FES system (blades, etc) has a significant impact in aerodynamic performance (drag) over the exact same glider without FES I think that it is now clear that a credible study has shown FES performance degradation that is both measurable and significant. I'm not sure why I should have to fill out a form for action to happen? While there may only be 2 Lak17b FES in the US at current, there are also others in Canada. A re-factored handicap may encourage a few more! Can someone from the handicap committee do the "rough math" (assume 2-4% drag) on the Lak17bFES handicap with a 75 lbs increase weight. Does that result in a handicap? What is the equation or equation set used to create a handicap? Or is it a subjective process? Thanks, Sean

This is a discussion group that facilitates exchange of information and ideas.

It is not in any way a formal part of the competition rules process.

If you have a request of the rules or handicap committees you should make that request directly to them.

Skewering volunteers in the hope of accomplishing your objective will accomplish nothing.

The polar information referenced will be useful in allowing the handicap folks a chance to project expected cross coutry speed and create an appropriate handicap.

UH