Old September 14th 04, 06:07 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: C-46 -was- This NG is turning
From: "Leanne"
Date: 9/14/2004 8:54 AM Pacific Standard Time
That's enough left seat time to have memorised the individual screw
holes in the instrument panel. From memory there were only a few
thousand made, unlike the C-47 - did many of them end up in the ETO? I
know they were common in the CBI on the Hump, but I've seen little
reference to them in Europe.

During its lifetime, there were over 3,000 of them built. In the ETO,

they were
used to tow gliders in the Rhein crossing of 1945, although I never saw

one
until I joined the Reserves back in the States after demob in 1946.

Air America flew them in Vietnam and other places. I used to see them all
the time in Thailand, coming and going.

Leanne

We were coming back form a mission in Germany flying west to our base in
Pontoise when we saw some C-46's towing gliders East. We later found out that
we had witnessed the beginning of Market Garden.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer