Old April 19th 04, 07:11 AM
Lennie the Lurker

Don Johnstone wrote in message ...
I agree with much of what you say Lennie but the reality
is that the eogotists and the competion pilots are
just as important to the sport as the people who fly
the club hack.

Don, it took several people nearly three months before I decided to
even take an introductory ride, and that was more to see if I was
going to have problems with my sinus, something I've had as long as I
can remember. It took one of the mouths that couldn't shut exactly
three weeks to give me an indication that the remarks and derision of
the plane, and where it would take me, would never stop. A lot of
good people did what they could to counteract the poison tongues, but
once that first scratch is made in the enthusiasm, it's only a matter
of time before it crumbles. The big ego doesn't see him or herself as
they are, and it seems to them, or so I imagine, that they're only
offering "sage advice". "Sage advice" would have been for them to
keep their mouths shut.

As far as the gliders go, I had my 1-26 and was happy with it, I was
even happy with it after I had flown it.

It makes no difference really, three people worked very hard to get me
to try it, two more joined them in trying to counteract the badmouth,
only to meet with failure because of a small number of people with fat
heads and huge egos. The end result, Egotist, one, soaring, zero.
Not the total cause, but enough that I decided the expense I was
paying wasn't worth it. I can stay at home and be ignored, which sure
beats going to the field and being irritated.

One of the "Michaels", don't remember which, once declared me as a
"total loss". Guess he was right, but I'm still the one that came out
on top.