Old June 19th 19, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McBee

Default stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

I did end up constructing a tail stab carrier out of cedar and pine. I cut the cuffs from the roof of my old trailer with an oscillating saw. I measured the circumference of the tail boom at three stations and printed circular templates in powerpoint, and used those with my jigsaw to cut out the three supports out of pine. I made a cardboard template of the base of the vertical tail and used that to notch the base. The carrier is secured in place with a bungee across the tailwheel fairing and three straps around the tail boom.

Overall I am very happy with this arrangement. It has shown no tendency to shift or move during transport. Being mostly made of cedar, it is quite lightweight.

I posted pics of the construction and final product here in case anyone else wants to make something like this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/522790...57709158710712

Matt