Old June 9th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Landing airplanes

In article et,
"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

The bottom line on all this would be that generalization of ANY kind, is not
the way to go in aviation.
My advice to every pilot I've ever trained is to treat flying in specifics
as those specifics relate to the exact airplane being flown, and avoid
generalization of any kind when it comes to handling an airplane.

What Dudley said!
A good example is the Bonanza. The fuel, particulary on the older
models, is stored in the front of the wing. As fuel is burned, the CG
moves aft. It is very important that the Bo driver calculate both the
takeoff and landing CG and adjust the leg length and/or aircraft loading
accordingly.
The Piper Warriors also may have a CG issue with two large passengers in
the front seats. This is a forward CG problem as fuel is burned.
Flying a C172RG, I took my father to OSH with me one year. On the trip
home, I found that the aircraft was loaded in such a manner that with
the two of us in the front seats and all our gear in the rear, the
simple motion of either one us leaning fore or aft would cause the nose
to drop or rise.
A Piper PA32-300 will use 25% more runway without using 10-deg of flaps
for takeoff roll.
As I mentioned in another posting, many pilots of retractable gear
airplanes do not know that Vx and Vy will be different, depending on
whether the gear are up or down.
The more different kinds airplanes you fly, the more attuned you become
to each airplanes "personallity".
The common thread is knowing the numbers for each airplane and flying
them accordingly.