Old March 24th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Default szd 55-1

On Mar 19, 3:45*pm, Gsoar wrote:
Hello,
I would like to get opinions regarding the szd 55-1. *What I have
heard so far is that it tends to drop a wing when there is a bit of a
crosswind on take off but, is this more common with this glider than
other high performance standard class gliders? The gentleman I spoke
with had 4 aborted take offs in 50 flights and he has 6X the amount of
time as I do. *Is this something that should be avoided in a 150h
pilot going from Grobs? *It has also been commented to me that it is
"a high performance glider that really demands your concentration at
all times." *While I try to pay attention most of the time, sometimes
I like to take in the view, *is this glider too hot to handle
especially on landing for a run of the mill pilot? *My goal is fun,
non contest (other than OLC), cross country. While I like vegetables,
I have no interest in picking them. * I also would like to buy
something that I won't have to worry about refinishing in the near
future and is not something that will require too much in the
maintenance area. * I don't want to be too anxious while I participate
in my recreation! *Oh, the LS4 I responded to on W&W was sold in 15
minutes.

Thanks

Have you talked to your CFI, or someone who knows your flying well?
Also, how good a pilot is the gentleman you talked to? That's not
quite the same as how many hours he has.

Whatever you get, be prepared for getting to grips with it when you
start flying it. I found that changing to my own glider from the club
ones found the weakest parts of my flying...