Old April 6th 04, 02:04 AM
Peter Duniho

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
[...]
I am not sure that you realize the difference yourself. Allow me to
illustrate. Perhaps you believe it is wrong to kill in order to take

things
that do not belong to you. What evidence do you have that it is wrong to

do
that? Conversely, I would like to see an example of something that you

would
consider a faith based imposition of morality on the legal system.

You can't be serious. Our lawbooks are filled with faith-based imposition
of morality. From blue laws restricting what kinds of businesses can
operate when, to laws governing sexual conduct between two consenting
adults, to the latest hot topic regarding gay marriage.

Tom is all wet trying to claim atheism isn't a religon, of course. It's
every bit a religion as any other belief that has no factual proof to
support it. No one's proven there is a God, but neither has anyone proved
there isn't one. An atheist is taking the belief of a lack of a God every
bit on faith as a Christian takes the belief of existence of God on faith.

People will disagree on what sorts of actions have victims and what sorts
don't, of course, and I won't be surprised if you don't think my examples of
faith-based imposition of morality aren't examples at all. Suffice to say I
will never agree with you that they aren't, and I feel strongly that we
shouldn't have laws like those that don't involve an actual victim and serve
only to impose one person's arbitrary rules of conduct on another.
Invariably those laws always turn out to have their basis in some Christian
belief, rather than a demonstrable harm one person does to another.

Pete