Old December 15th 03, 10:19 PM
phil hunt

On 15 Dec 2003 13:24:00 -0800, Tony Williams wrote:

I had the impression that the Eurofighter programme was taking a lot
of flak for being over budget, so the gun was offered up as a kind of
sacrificial lamb to appease the Treasury (the RAF probably figuring
that they could fit it later if required). Of course, when it turned
out that the first 55 or so were contractually committed anyway, and
the gun has to be carried by the plane whether it's used or not, they
looked rather silly. All they'll be saving will be the cost of ammo
and the maintenance/training requirements, which is not likely to be
huge as a percentage of the project. I'd lay a small bet that not long
after the Typhoon enters service, the RAF will suddenly find an urgent
operational need for activating the gun...

Wouldn't surprise me :-)

(Email: , but first subtract 275 and reverse
the last two letters).