Old February 9th 21, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kenn Sebesta

Default What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to a glider?

The net change for my '24E was 2 lb increase compared to condition before change, weighed without fuel.
Battery weighs 60 lb, 120V 5.75kwh.
Motor weighs 18 lb
Controller weighs 4-1/2
2 batteries in the nose. 12 lb
The 100 lb comparison I made is my 24E compared to a pure glider. This reflects the above plus structural changes between 24 and 24E as well as the lift mechanism.
UH

Thanks for those figures. I've calculated similarly tiny net changes in weight for an electric conversion-- on paper, I should wind up all of 500g lighter. Of course, the reality won't perfectly track the numbers, but it's heartening to see my hunch played out in your case.