Old March 4th 20, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sun Ship Game Question

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 9:46:20 AM UTC-5, Scott Williams wrote:
On Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 8:18:59 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I was rewatching the SunShip Game since its raining cats n dogs down here. I noticed both Moffat’s and Drew’s open cirrus’s did not have total energy probes showing. What were those guys using back then to obtain reliable total energy or netto information? Im pretty sure they were flying before the days of electronic compensation, unless they both had early prototype versions.

While I am not an expert, I think there were several Devices to give TE, one was an insulated 'can' which may have been called a Schuman box, another was a device which used a flexible diaphragm.
The Schuman device (if that is the correct name) had at least 5 pneumatic ports and was the topic of much speculation about how it worked, I think if you shook it, it vibrated like it contained springs.
Any oldtimers have better information?
Scott

They were using diaphragm compensation that required a lot of fussing we don't have to do.
UH