Old July 19th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Military Air Fields

Paul kgyy wrote:

What is the rule with these? Can I just land there as long as I
establish tower contact? Or is the chart depiction present only for
emergency purposes?

There is a military airport north of Syracuse, NY, called Wheeler-Sack,
which is an army airfield supporting Fort Drum.

Regarding this airport, the approach and tower will let civvies fly their
PAR approach upon request (I have asked a few times), but the restriction
placed on us by them is that we cannot touch our wheels to their runway.

I assumed that other bases around the US were similarly restrictive
(assuming, of course, that they were not located under restricted
airspace).

--
Peter