Old June 11th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Softie Parachute for Schleicher gliders with a seat back cutout

On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 7:53:40 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
My Pioneer Thin Pack was 42 years old before someone refused to
inspect/repack it.Â* His complaint was about some minor fraying on
the crotch straps.Â* They would probably have only sustained a 20,000
pound shock before stretching a bit...Â* My previous rigger from
Colorado was always impressed with its condition and he did puncture
and rip tests.Â* I was always present when he inspected and repacked
it.

I now have a new Aviator
P-124 emergency parachute and am very happy with it.

On 6/10/2019 4:36 PM,
wrote:

I like the Softie line of chutes and fly with one now. And I agree the folks at Para-Phernalia are great to deal with.

But--the manufacturer is one of the few (only?) in the U.S. to set a 20-year life on their products (see below). It can be challenging to get any chute that's more than 20 years old packed--even when it's in superb condition--thanks to the efforts of Allen Silver. Do a search on this newsgroup for (much) more info. But I suspect it will be even more difficult to get a rigger to pack a 20+ year Softie. I wish I'd known this before I bought mine.

"Independent testing of aged nylon materials has proven that its strength degrades over time, therefore, Para-Phernalia, Inc. and Free Flight Enterprises have established a 20-year service life from the date of component manufacture for the Softie Pilot Emergency System and the Preserve line of emergency parachutes."

Chip Bearden

--

Dan, 5J

Para-Phernalia has a short list of approved square chutes.
The Aviator P-124 is on the list of chutes to consider when my Mini Softie with PD235 canopy is replaced. From experience the Mini Softie works in LS6, ASW27, ASG29, but was too large for Nimbus 3 (Dan M has my old National from that) and is a bit large for the Duo rear seat, a bad fit in the front seat.
Having jumped rounds and squares I will never buy another round chute.
But that P-124 photo in the link is hilarious! A pilot appearing to be getting in an Extra(?), with his chute leg straps off.
Jim