Old December 28th 03, 10:35 PM
John H. Kay

Default Garmin 1000 turn co-ordinator?

Hi.

How do the new glass cockpits (Garmin or Avidyne) indicate rate of turn,
and also whether the plane is slipping or skidding?

I know we can do the simple rule of thumb sum for standard rate turns,
giving the approx. bank angle for the speed we're using, but we're all
trained to check the little wings and the ball for reassurance as part
of the scan in conventionally instrumented aircraft.

On any picture of these new screens, I can't see where there is an
indication of the rate of turn, although I think lack of co-ordination
may manifest itself by another pointer coming away from the main one on
the AI. No article I've read, so far, on these screens mentions these
points.

--
John H. Kay