Old November 24th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Canadian Pilot wants U.S. Certificate

On Nov 24, 11:32*am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
On Nov 24, 9:57 am, wrote:

Why would it take 4 days to complete the licence? Writing the test
should be fairly quick, and I think I can convince an instructor that
I know what I'm doing in fairly short order.

Interesting comment, which may send up a red flag in most CFI's
minds. *

Burt,

My comment was regards to the earlier posting about writing the exam
and doing some checkrides to get my U.S. certificate, it didn't seem
to me that I'd require a full course. I'm currently a licenced glider
pilot and instructor in Canada, as well as holder of a Private Pilot -
Aeroplane. I'm technically "low-time" at only 90 or so hours on
gliders, but I'm current and competently skilled (yes, there are
improvements to be done -- who can honestly say otherwise?). It
should be quickly obvious to a CFI that I know what I'm doing with a
glider -- no red flags at all.

I just can't "wrap my head around" the seeming requirement that I take
a full course to gain a licence to exercise flying privileges that I
already have in my home country. After all, the FAA would have no
problem if I brought my own ship (Kestrel 19) down to the States and
flew it... why the problem with getting even a temporary or restricted
licence to fly an N# glider? I don't wish to instruct or even fly a
passenger while there; I just want to enjoy the thermals for a few
hours.

I have no problems with doing a checkride or three to demonstrate to
the owner that I'm a competent pilot capable of safely flying and
returning the aircraft. I would expect to be checked at any club that
I visit; I'm subject to a Spring proficiency check at my own club each
year, both front and rear seat. I just don't know why I'd need a 4-
day course to demonstrate the skills that I would have been teaching
to my students in Canada the week before my trip.

John