Old March 25th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb

Default Engine Out Landing. Big Deal?

On Mar 25, 10:26*am, Tony wrote:
On Mar 25, 12:15*pm, "vaughn" wrote:

"soartech" wrote in message

I think the solution is that every new power pilot should be required
to have 20 flights in gliders before even stepping into a plane with
an engine.

I have a lot more time in gliders than in airplanes, but I wouldn't brag too
much in advance about my likelihood of making a safe power-off emergency landing
in an airplane. *Flying a 7 to 1 airplane with little or no glide path control
takes a somewhat different skill set than doing the same with a 30 to 1 glider
with good spoilers.and (likely) a lower approach speed.

Hi Gang
Having landed out in a Lanair ES after a fire and engine out in a
tiny field on the western slope of the Sierras where trees dominated
the scenery and surviving I believe my gliding experience greatly
enhanced my survivability. With a glider at all times one has a
bailout site in mind and each landing must be correct. No going around
for a second chance. I sense that most power plane only pilots do not
put the emphasis that we glider pilots do of mentally planning a
landing. Too low push the throttle forward. Too high a go around.
Check out the NTSB accident reports on missed landings. I am certain
that for about 50% of the missed landings if an experienced glider
pilot had been PIC the outcomes would have been different. I really
think my own incident with the Lancair would have been very different
and tragic without my glider experience.
Dave

I think the solution is that every new power pilot should be required
to have 20 flights in gliders before even stepping into a plane with
an engine.

Vaughn

this.

all my power flying friends seem to think i don't have any reason to
sweat an engine failure in an airplane now since i have glider
experience. *not so. *having an engine failure at 500 ft in an
airplane and ending up with a successful landing is something to be
proud of, I think. *You have, at best, 60 seconds to make all the
right decisions from that altitude. *You'll probably spend at least
1/3 of that time realizing what went wrong and then recovering from
the mistakes you made during that realization period. *then you have
(at best) 40 seconds to determine a course of action and execute.
I'll take a real glider any day.