Old September 28th 03, 06:37 PM
John Carrier

Rear Admiral, lower half, is an O-7 (one broad stripe, one star). Rear
Admiral, upper half, is an O-8 (the big JG, two stars). Commodore was in
and out in a hurry. Used to refer to all kinds of O-6 bonus command slots
(Commodore FTG, Commodore TRAWING One, Commodore DESRON 2, etc), then they
tried it on O-7 and the flag guys HATED it (General, Admiral, Commodore?).
We're now back to the old usage of Commodore. Been that way since long
before you retired, Peaches.

R / John

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Shows ya all how long since I retired. Does O-8, Rear Adm., lower half,

wear
one star or two?

When did they stop calling same pay grade 'Commodore'? I know they did for

while.

Do Commanders of small-ish groups of ships, smaller than a CVBG, are they

still
refered to as 'Commodore'?? Even if they are O-7s?

Thanks in advance-
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer