Old September 29th 03, 12:12 AM
Jake Donovan

Commodore is a Title not a rank. (2003) You are correct in O7 RADM Lower and
O8 RADM Upper Half.

Commodore is actually, as a rank, a wartime designation for a one star.
Somewhere along the line, they played around with it and finally went back
to the peace time ranks. If you check with Bupers, you can find the O7
Commodore and O7 RADM Lowerhalf explanations.

JD

PS - But for the life of me, I could never understand the AF / Army Lt Gen
out ranking a Major Gen. LOL ( and before someone tries to explain it to
me, I KNOW that a Lt Gen is 3 stars and a Major Gen is 2 stars. As it is the
same in the Marines)

"John Carrier" wrote in message
Rear Admiral, lower half, is an O-7 (one broad stripe, one star). Rear
Admiral, upper half, is an O-8 (the big JG, two stars). Commodore was in
and out in a hurry. Used to refer to all kinds of O-6 bonus command slots
(Commodore FTG, Commodore TRAWING One, Commodore DESRON 2, etc), then they
tried it on O-7 and the flag guys HATED it (General, Admiral, Commodore?).
We're now back to the old usage of Commodore. Been that way since long
before you retired, Peaches.

R / John

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Shows ya all how long since I retired. Does O-8, Rear Adm., lower half,

wear
one star or two?

When did they stop calling same pay grade 'Commodore'? I know they did

for
while.

Do Commanders of small-ish groups of ships, smaller than a CVBG, are

they
still
refered to as 'Commodore'?? Even if they are O-7s?

Thanks in advance-
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer