Old January 16th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Sticking Lycoming O-360 valve again?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:40:46 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Your engine is probably not creating the full 180hp, which leads to
the low static RPM at runup, and the less than normal takeoff
performance.

Now the question is: What is causing the low power output?

Sounds a lot like a sticking valve, but I think I've done everything that can

I am not an expert, but in my (one) experience with a stuck valve - I
could hear it chatter when it stuck. It was not the kind of thing you
could overlook. Perhaps there are other ways for valves to stick
without chattering, but I thought I would at least provide you this
datapoint.

What are the compressions? Very low compression can be cause poor
power output.

Another possibility is a worn camshaft, and hence the inability to
fully lift the valves. This results in low power output. On an
engine that had low usage for its first 10 years SMOH, it should be a
concern. There are many archived threads on google groups discussing
camshaft rust and the subsequent damage to the camshaft.

Seeing any metal in the filter on oil changes? Do you do oil
analysis? If so, this could help confirm the latter theory. Also, I
believe there is a way to measure the valve lift and compare against
tolerances to see if the cam and lifters are doing their job.

-Nathan