Old January 16th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Sticking Lycoming O-360 valve again?

Nathan Young wrote:
: I've looked into those for years as a concern for this engine given its
: history. When we had the jugs off last time, I looked at the cam carefully. I could
: see no visible evidence of rusting, pitting, or spalling. The tappets (from what I
: could see without splitting the case) looked good too. Besides, I cannot see how a
: worn cam would suddenly become unworn 60 seconds after takeoff.

: Agree, it would be tough for the lobes to grow back!

: Curious. Do you transition to a cruise climb or stay at Vy for
: climbing?

I generally climb out at at least 100 mph (Vy = 85) to keep the jugs cool. In
a LONG climb (6-10kft) I'll monitor the CHT closely and step-climb if they get too
high.

* Cory Papenfuss *