Old January 2nd 18, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Seminole Lake Accident

Yes, but with some careful judgement in between as to those who ought be encouraged after an accident and those who should not be. Not everyone makes a good pilot.

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 9:52:29 AM UTC-7, Retting wrote:
As a teen absorbing everything I could about soaring, George Moffat became a hero of mine. Years later, after lying to the owner of SLG (Knut) to fly in my first contest (2003 Seniors), we had adjoining rooms and I invited him to join my wife and I for dinner after a practice day. He accepted to my delight because later he would give a complete detailed account of.......completing his return to earth by crashing into and remaining in a tree some 20' above the ground while on final approach. He struck lt off as an 'incompetent bad break'. Later , in between writing boring English literature (sorry George!), he would become 2 time World Champion .
My point is how is the pilot doing who suffered the accident? Rich, tell the pilot to pay the bill, wipe off the dust, and get back in the cockpit. If a World Champion and many others had to crash to get better, well hell it's part aviation. Any landing you and observers can walk away from is a good landing, right?
Accidents happen, but embarrassment lingers. Encouragement is our duty.