Old October 20th 15, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 4:51:14 AM UTC+3, Bill T wrote:
That's way to high... We use 800-1000, and yes the occasional instructor induced rope break at 600.
Of course there is always the instructor "my airplane" until about 500ft just outside the pattern entry, or the instructor distraction until the student cries uncle and wants to get into the pattern. Ahhh. Instructor, we are a little low out here, shouldn't we head in? Great observation, let's get this on the ground. Then the appropriate debrief on the ground,

It's the most fun to distract them attempting to work a weak thermal 2 or 3 km downwind from the field, and on the opposite side to the normal landing circuit. Hopefully the student notices we are low (or it is pointed out) while there is still plenty of height to fly upwind to a good base leg (but from the opposite side to usual). But somewhere between foolhardy and impossible to fly diagonally overhead the field to the normal circuit entry point.