Old May 21st 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Outside reference in IMC

On May 20, 9:45*pm, romeomike wrote:

IMO, given that an overcast may obscure the horizon and not be "level"
or at the same altitude as you progress, I would think you would be
justified in logging it. I for one would want to be scanning instruments
to make sure I'm maintaining altitude, course, level wings, etc. It
wouldn't be quite as intense as if I were in the clouds, but justifiable
to the feds if they examined my log book. I'm sure there are scenarios
that would generate debate but maybe not this one?

While I personally don't log it in my logbook as IMC time, I think
like you, it's IMC since like you said, sloping clouds give an
illusion of a false horizon. In my training, my instructor said no,
it's not, and we were between layers!

The second reason I personally think it's IMC, is that you have no
ground reference to fly by and have to use instruments to navigate.