Old May 21st 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Default Outside reference in IMC

romeomike wrote in news:1kkcg5-
:

wrote:

In my training, my instructor said no,
it's not, and we were between layers!

I'm not an ultimate authority on this, but I don't get your instructor's
point of view. If someone else can explain how in this scenario one can
safely fly without reference to instruments, you and I are sure to learn
something.

VFR over the top (not to be confused with the IFR clearance of VFR on top).

For example, fly from SJC or RHV to TVL. The central valley can be covered
in Tule fog but it could be CAVU above 1,000' AGL. You also have CAVU at
SJC, RHV, and TVL. Climb VFR and then cross the Tule fog.

Now put a ceiling of say FL 250 above you. Again SJC, RHV, and TVL are
CAVU. Clime to 9,500', and cross between the layers VFR.

In either cases, you can see the Sierra Nevada mountains or the coastal
hills on return while you are over the lower level ceiling. Even with 25
mile visibility, you'll have enough time to establish a heading prior to
crossing the central valley and just hold it until you see the hills.

Maybe one of our Canadian friends can tell us if Canada now allows VFR over
the top for private pilots. I know when I was a student it was pointed out
that Canada did not allow this while the U.S. did.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)