Old June 5th 12, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Would you rather fly a Sailplane?

On Apr 25, 2:54*pm, Karen wrote:
Discussion from the paragliding forum. See:http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=p307763

Seems to be a large group of very talented soaring people that the SSA
and BGA doesn't reach well. Many of the boomers who started jumping
off hills in the 1970's are getting tired of climbing the hills
carrying a big bag.

We do get a large and frequent number of paraglider types thanks to
Chris Santacroce in Salt Lake City (and other's) references. Lots of
folk lore out there regarding sailplanes (or maybe we deserve it) -

Certain comments re-surface over and over about glider club
environments, costs and misconceptions about "90% social, 10% flying",
"takes a year to get your license", "mostly racing glass", etc, etc.

If you know a hang glider or para glider pilot to share a sailplane
flight with they can explain quite a bit about the physics and
structure of a thermal they explore at 25 km/hr with a tight, tight
turn radius. My husband and teen daughter traded winch sailplane rides
for two pay-out winch paraglider flights to 3,000 AGL. Daughter loved
it. Husband didn't care for the aerobatics on a "piece of cloth", but
very rewarding to watch these people do a save and back to altitude
from half a pattern altitude.

KAREN

Hang glider pilots have been a large source of new SSA members for a
decade or more. At some point, their knees send a strong message that
landing on a wheel is a better idea. I've been told that the cost of
replacing "kites" every few years makes hang gliding more expensive
which is another reason for migration to sailplanes. Hang glider
pilots and model airplane types vie with each other as a the leading
recruitment source. The SSA is actively recruiting both.

As for the "greying" of the SSA, the current average age of members is
54 which is younger than it was in 1960. Surprising, at least to me,
is that roughly 15 percent are younger than 22.

Yes, hang glider can make long flights - the record is 700km. But
then the sailplane record is 3000km which is a fair measure of their
relative capabilities.

Education is the key to recruiting. Tell them what we do and let them
decide.