Old March 7th 04, 05:55 AM
BTIZ

so Mack.. why did you let it get one week out of annual?

Blanik annuals are not tough.. but the wings should come apart.. and you
should get in the interior wing root and pull out the rollers there that the
flap and spoiler push rods ride on. If the rollers don't roll, you are
wearing down one side of the push rod.

You have to get someone in through that hatch behind the rear seat, that can
work with his arms over his head, and pull the rollers out, clean and
replace.

BT
"Mackfly" wrote in message
Tried to get a ferry permit from the local FSDO so we could tow a Blanik

that
was one week out of annual to another airport for it's inspection. They

said
they could not issure it for safety reasons! I had done it once with my
1-23H15 a few years ago. The "reason" given was because of the risk

placed on
the tow pilot. The addition of risk to another person. I asked the

fellow if
they ever issued one to "crewed" aircraft to which he said "yes." I

mentioned
that the tow plane and the sailplane could release from each other and

asked if
a required "crew" member could do that. He said he had even called the

next
level up, at KC. Not at all sure he made the call. All in all it smacks

of
CYA when you are in over your head at your job. We used to have a guy

come and
do/sign off the inspection in a cold dark hangar at the field. What we

were
trying to do was get the glider to a lighted, heated hangar where it would

get
a "better" inspection. Thanks to the FAA's wisdom we did the inspection

in a
cold, dark hangar again. Anyone ever "ferry" a sailplane? Yes we have a
trailer. We are only willing to be laughed at by glass ship owners as we
hammer a Blanic together at Salida or Boulder. Any thoughts?

Mac