Old October 16th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

Default Long term storage

I live in the desert, I would not "park" a plane in the boneyard for 3 years
without proper preperation, to include the engine and protecting the finish
from UV. In a hanger in the desert would shelter the UV, and maybe part of
the blowing dust.

The only thing the desert saves is mildew. But we still have mold if things
are left wet.
The engine may be able to be pickled without pulling it. An interior in a
hanger should be ok, cover with sheets or dust cloths, and make sure it is
secured from animal varmints. (moth balls work well). I'm not sure about
protecting the avionics, look for any thing that has an internal battery and
have it removed.
It may be worthwhile to pull the Garmin or anything else that is in the
"rack" and can be removed easily and stored nicely protected. Not sure about
"basement" storage as those tend to get damp if they are not "living
quarters".. maybe up on a shelf in a bed room closet?

BT

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you really willing to go that far to store your aircraft for 3
years, why not looking for a place at a very dry climate (SW desert)
for the storage? I'm sure there are some aircraft storage yards in the
desert that'll take your money and let you park your aircraft there for
3 years. May even be less than your hangar rent at Ohio.

JSBOUGHER wrote:
Hey all, long time lurker with a question. I just got an offer for a 3
yr posting far-far away (half a world actually, just heard they got
their first private aircraft). Anyway, looks like I'll be parking my
beloved Velocity for quite some time - not willing to sell her and
their are only a few I'd trust her with and leaving her with them
hasn't worked out. I plan to pull and hang the wings and have the
engine pulled, crated and pickled. What I don't know about is the
interior and avionics. I have a beautiful Garmin 430 and audio, a nice
JPI engine monitor, an ADI Pilot II with battery backup and some other
goodies. I also worry about mold issues with the interior. I live in
Ohio, so we see pretty big swings in temps/humidity. I've considered
paying a local teenager to pull/place a couple of the of the
rechargable humidity control do-dads to protect the interior, but
really worry about the avionics. Should I pull the stack and put it in
my parents basement? What about the AH, TC and DG, do their bearing go
bad if they sit for 3 years? Anything else I should be concerned about
or haven't considered? All thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,
Jeff