Old October 28th 03, 01:28 PM
Steve H

Hi Miguel,
I used to own a Sportvega which was finished in a polyurethane paint. As
I understand the explanations at the time, the polyurethane finish is
softer, more elastic and cheaper to re-do. At around that time the BGA
DG 500 went to some astronomical height above Aboyne, in Scotland. I was
told that the extremes of temperature to which it was exposed and,
possibly, the rapidity of temperature change on ascent and descent,
resulted in extensive gel coat cracking; and that the polyurethane
finish on my rather ancient Sportvega would not have been similarly
affected. Lastly, if you do the prep work, a reasonable garage could
respray the glider for you at much less expense than the usual aviation
prices.
Steve

Author: Jose M. Alvarez
Date/Time: 09:40 28 October 2003
I think that Miguel was asking the difference between gel coat and
poliurethane paint. Anyway I don't have enough knowledge about the
matter to explain it!

"BTIZ" escribió en el mensaje news:4ljnb.94824$La.83537@fed1read02...
as long as the surface below was properly prepared.. should be ok..
that

is
the standard for replacing old gel coats.. sand it down.. re profile

the
wing.. and paint it..

BT

"Miguel Lavalle" wrote in

message
I am considering buying a second hand glider that was recently =
refinished with poly paint as opposed to gel coat. What is poly
paint? What are

the
pros and cons of poly paint compared to gel coat?

Regards

Miguel