Old October 28th 03, 02:54 PM
JJ Sinclair

What is poly paint? What are the
pros and cons of poly paint compared to gel coat?

Hi Miguel,
There are two "Poly" paints used on sailplanes, Polyeurathane and Acrylic
Urathane. I just repainted my Genesis 2 with Acrylic Urathane and found it very
easy to work with. Preped the non-damaged areas by contouring with 60 grit,
followed by 220 and then paint with 3 medium coats. Wet sandad with 600wet and
800wet, then wool buffer and liquid rubbing compound.
The Genesis 2 and LAK -17 are painted with Acrylic Urathane by the
manufacturer. The only down-side that I am aware of, is the softer paint
(urathane) may blister more quickly, if left too long in a wet trailer
JJ Sinclair